I have been watching the Up series lately. Here's the wikipedia blurb about it:
The Up Series consists of a series of documentary films that have followed the lives of fourteen British children since 1964, when they were seven years old. The children were selected to represent the range of socio-economic backgrounds in Britain at that time, with the explicit assumption that each child's social class predetermines their future. Every seven years, the director, Michael Apted, films new material from as many of the fourteen as he can get to participate.So anyway, I just finished watching 28 Up which is the closest one to my actual age (have I mentioned that I'm 30? Just checking). Part of me almost wants to save the next film (35) until I'm closer to 35 myself because maybe it will have more significance for me then. I probably won't though...I'm too tempted to find out how everyone is doing.
The series has got me thinking a lot about inertia and how, unless you do something radically different to change your life, it is likely that you will continue on the path you are on now. I'm talking specifically about careers here, but I suppose that kind of idea can apply to any aspect of one's life. Anyway, it's got me thinking about how I'm always complaining about working in tech support but, year after year, I'm still steadfastly working away in the same field. I really wonder, if I check in with myself seven years from now, am I likely to be doing anything different or will I be on the same path? In which case, if I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing anyway, maybe I should work on making myself okay with it and not so dissatisfied with it all the time. If I can't do that, maybe I really should focus more of my energy on getting out and doing something different, let go of the security of my current vocation and find one that is more satisfying. Things to think about...
Moving in two days. Almost ready. Almost happy about it, but not quite.
2 comments:
glad you're loving the Up series. Marg and i got hooked on it last year and watched them all (the last one so far is 49 up). Taken it totality it's quite brilliant watching how far - if at all - some land from their 7 year old selves.
sorry you're sick
xo
Now I have to watch it......anyways I am in a very different career, and really life altogether from what i was 7 years ago.
Post a Comment