Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Progress

Last week was relatively crazy and hectic but I cut back on my class schedule and now I feel like things are at a more manageable level. I ended up dropping my English comp class because I could take it anytime. My drawing class seemed really interesting and something I would get a lot out of, but I didn't feel like I had the time or energy to devote to it right now so I dropped that one too. I'm looking forward to taking it when I have more to give.

So just the two classes then: Macs for Graphic Designers and Intro to Typography. Macs should be no problem since I've got the computer skillz and all. Type might be more of a challenge, in large part because the prof seems more than a little flaky and completely forgets what she's talking about in the middle of lectures. But I still think it will be fine.

Work has calmed down a bit. The call volume has dropped as expected, and at the same time my team has gotten smaller. Two people resigned, we lost two more to another department, and two others were transferred back to the internal team. So now it's just me and five others, which has its advantages, but I kind of miss having a big team.

Training yesterday was pretty cool. I didn't go last week because I was so exhausted and I haven't been running since my last entry, so I was feeling a little disconnected from the whole exercise thing. Yesterday when I got to my trainer's house she was all "think you can walk three miles today?" and that's what we did. We walked/jogged about a mile and a half to a park and threw a softball around for a bit, then walked back. It was good for me because I've got two 5ks coming up over the next couple of weekends so now I feel like I'm more ready to tackle them. The plan is to keep doing 5ks over the winter and then maybe do the 10k Shamrock Run in March and keep building up my mileage from there. The marathon is approximately one year from now, so I have to start pushing my limits a little bit, I think.

The roommate situation took a nasty turn last weekend when she accused me of doing drugs in the basement. I want out of here so bad, but I'm about halfway through my lease so it's probably best for me to just sit tight and ride it out like I had planned. I had a day off from work yesterday and for part of the day she was just clomping around upstairs and I had this fleeting fantasy that maybe she was packing her things because SHE was going to move out. That would be so nice...

xo,
C

Update: After a few weeks of turning it over in my head, I came to a realization today: I don't want to be a graphic designer. Sure, I enjoyed the class I took this summer and I do like fiddling around with layouts and things like that, but I honestly just don't care all that much about fonts, I don't have all that much drawing ability, and when my profs would talk about what working as a graphic designer is actually like, I thought it sounded really effing boring.


I hate the idea of quitting things, but this time in my life is supposed to be about discovering myself and figuring out what I actually want to do. So I'm going in a different direction. I'm going to take the money I was going to spend on GD and try some jewelry classes instead. Maybe it will turn out to be something I want to do, maybe not, but it's definitely worth a try.

Update 2: Yes, I realize this post makes me sound like a flake who can't make up her mind and doesn't know what the hell she's doing. Truthfully, sometimes I don't. This feels really right to me though, so I'm going with it.

1 comment:

christina said...

carrie the drug addict! LOVESIT! tell her you were eating magic mushrooms and envisioned she was a gigantic pile of steaming dog shit.