If you were to ask me what my worst nightmare personally would be, I'd say it would probably involve being asked to speak intelligently on world affairs in front of a room full of strangers. It's just not my area of expertise, see, and the thought of looking stupid in front of people just horrifies me.
Funny story...earlier this week I was asked to participate in a BBC program called World Have Your Say. I had spoken on the program before, on fat issues, and this week they were broadcasting live in Portland. The producer I spoke to didn't know what the topic was going to be ahead of time, so I went in blind, hoping I would have something to contribute. Well, when I walked into the room it was worst nightmare time: The topic was the upcoming election in Iran. Dun dun dunnnnn!
Before we went on the air, the host went around the room and asked us all what we would like to ask the folks in Iran about the election. My response? "Um...." There were a lot of knowledgeable folks in the room with some great questions and I learned a lot just by listening to the discussions on the program, but yeah, it was pretty humbling to have absolutely no idea what to say about this landmark election that EVERYBODY else had an opinion about.
The upside is, now I've been through my nightmare scenario and totally survived. Honestly, after the initial embarrassment and stupid-feeling, I got to watch these people produce a fascinating radio show and I had a pretty good time. Also, school is over and I get to go on my trip in three days. Maybe I'm an idiot about world affairs, but I'm about to learn a whole lot about the US!
There I am in the middle, NOT contributing to the discussion :)
The next time I talk to you, I'll be on the road! How exciting!!
xo,
C
2 comments:
ha! classic.
at least there were other people there. in my nightmare i'd be the only one in the room
Well done for not running away!
They are very silly for not telling their panelists what the topic will be.
Enjoy your trip!
Post a Comment