Tuesday, November 9, 2010

About that tattoo...

You know, I've tried to put my Big Sur trip into words and it's just not happening, like how I couldn't write about Yellowstone that time (I still can't). Suffice it to say that I had an incredible, dynamic, life-changing time at Esalen and I will definitely be going back next year if I can.

The tattoo was borne of a short essay I wrote in one of the workshops, on my mother and perfectionism. She's a very "just so" kind of person and I realized on that trip that as her daughter I had internalized those expectations to the point where I was expecting perfection out of myself in everything I did. Just writing it down and seeing it there on the page made me realize that that's not how I want to live. On the drive back home (a wonderful time to puzzle things out) I started thinking about rejecting perfection and how beautiful imperfections are in all of us. At a truck stop, I pulled a sharpie out of my bag and wrote the word 'imperfectly' on my arm, thinking I would sit with it for a week or so and see how it felt to broadcast my feelings on my skin. A few hours of driving later I made a call to a Portland tattoo parlor to inquire about an appointment for a consultation. They asked if I wanted to just do it today and, seizing the moment, I said okay.





So this is what I got. Afterward I had a few minutes of quietly freaking out, feeling like I had made a huge mistake that couldn't be taken back, but now that it's healed I really love it. And that's the tattoo story.

2 comments:

X said...

I really like it. I have always experienced the same "freaking out" moment after getting a new tattoo, but eventually it isn't so "in your face" and falls to the background, but not in a way that it falls off the radar, but rather, just isn't at the front.

Ever since I wanted to become inked, I thought the forearm would be a great spot, but of course, my corporate america job frowns upon such things. I hate long sleeves.

Plans for another? SOON!? Also, which shop did you go to?

Unknown said...

Yeah, I worried about my job for about five seconds until I realized that I didn't give a shit if they had a problem with it. Also I frequently wear a sweater in the office since it's a brisk 68 degrees in there. I definitely think I'll get another someday, but it'll have to be another moment when I come across something I feel like I will believe in forever. Given how easily I change my mind sometimes, that might take awhile.