Work has been slooooooooooow today. So slow that if I weren't the only person doing my job, I would be worried about being let go. Last week there were two of us doing this job, but the other girl came in late on Friday, couldn't log into her computer, thought it was a big conspiracy, that the powers that be were trying to tell her something, and just left. It turns out the powers that be weren't all that happy with her performance anyway, so they took the opportunity to fire her. It was an odd day. At least I think that's what happened. I've been sick and on medication for the past week, so maybe I just hallucinated all that. A lot of my coworkers have been sick lately as well, to the point that I remarked last week that it felt a little like the beginning of The Stand, when everyone starts to get the superflu and die. Thankfully, nobody has died here yet. I would hate for this to be the time that my overactive imagination is actually correct. I mean really, if everyone died, I'd have no one to say 'I told you so' to. So here's hoping it's just a tenacious bug.
The weather is starting to change here in Portland, and I think everyone is a little gloomy about it. We basically have two seasons here. One is warm and sunny, the other, cold and rainy. There is almost no transition between them either, in fact the weather guys on TV can usually pinpoint when the 'last nice weekend' is going to be before the rain sets in. I don't guess I really mind the rain, though it does get a little gloomy with the lack of sunshine and the constant sogginess. Now that I've lived here for over a year, I suppose it's time to really consider getting some actual raingear. I mean, I have an umbrella, but no raincoat and no boots. How have I lived in the PNW for over a year and not taken the opportunity to buy rain boots with cute little duckies or something on them? The mind boggles.
I saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind this weekend. I liked it a lot and it really made me think that I have probably missed out on some really great movies, books, tv shows, etc because I am so resistant to things that have good buzz or that are reviewed well by the popular media (or, sadly, that people I know and love have said good things about). So I've decided to make catching up into a little project. I can already think of a few things I've never read or seen that have been critically acclaimed and universally beloved so I am starting a list over to the right. If you can think of any books, movies or tv shows that I have just GOT to experience, add a comment to this entry and if I haven't read or seen them already, I will add them to the list. Thanks y'all!
3 comments:
Ever read Anne of Green Gables? Or seen the tv presentation? I avoided the book because my mother liked it so much but when I finally saw the show, I was sorry I missed it!
Mom
I was right about Heroes, wasn't I? How much did I talk about that show before you finally caved in and watched?
So with that...
Read To Kill A Mockinbird. A very easy read, and I really think you'll like it. It's told from a girls point of view, after all.
And if you aren't, you should also get into The X-Files. I have a few seasons on dvd that I could loan you.
i will loan you the godfathers. oh, you should watch freaks and geeks.
Post a Comment