Sunday, December 30, 2007

A good day

This has been one of those days. Not one of *those* days, when everything goes wrong and you're rolling your eyes at every new crappy development, but one of the days where everything kind of magically falls into place and all the choices you make end up being the right ones.
I woke up this morning without any kind of clear plan. I definitely had things that had to get done today, like household responsibilities (laundry) and financial obligations (bill-paying), but other than that, the day was wide open. I decided to put off the drudgery and take myself out to breakfast. I took the bus to the Cup & Saucer, this little breakfasty place in my neighborhood that a friend introduced me to last week. I knew from my experiences at Burgerville that eating alone can be treacherous if you don't have something to actively do (besides the eating, of course), so I brought Jane Eyre to read while I was waiting. It was lovely. I sat and read with my cup of coffee and my breakfast and felt for a minute like I was back in college, hanging out at the Waffle House. Good times.

When I was done with breakfast, I headed outside into a strange mix of sleety, snowy, haily goodness. It was the kind of weather where everyone kind of looks up and acknowledges that something different is happening outside and there is a tiny bit of palpable excitement in the air. I got on the bus headed for home, but on a whim I decided to stay on and go find the library instead. I had been carrying around directions to the library for a few weeks now and today just felt like the right time. So I went to the library, finally got a library card, picked out a few books and headed for home. When I came out of the library, the weather had cleared up and was actually sunny. A feeling of unadulterated satisfaction had been threatening to impose itself on me all day, and as I felt the sun on my face, I finally gave myself over to it and grinned as I walked to the bus stop.

I arrived home with plenty of time left to lay on the bed, pet the dogs, read more Jane Eyre and write this entry before I have to start being responsible again. What an awesome, awesome day.