Monday, May 5, 2008

Cue the montage

My move went fine, despite my persistent cold. I have managed to arrange everything in the new place pretty much where I expected it to go except for the glass-fronted bookshelves which are too tall for the space. I'm currently using one on it's side to hide the big pile of boxes, plus its a good place to put things until I figure out where I want them to be. So far things have been okay. I've had a few sad moments when I've been by myself in the place but I'm also feeling a little untethered and aimless about everything which is making me look at my life in a whole new way. This morning when I got to work I had the strongest urge to just walk into my boss's office and quit. I have been frustrated with my job before but this wasn't really a frustrated feeling, it was as if it had just become clear to me that I didn't need to waste any more of my time working there and I needed to really figure out what I want to be doing. I did not actually end up quitting my job today but I did start seriously looking for something else. I'm in a position right now where the only thing I absolutely need a job for is to pay my rent and the few bills I have. This affords me a kind of freedom to really pursue new ideas and new career possibilities. I'm not sure where I'll end up yet but I'm almost 100% certain that it won't be working on a help desk. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Brian Padian said...

you know the adage: don't quit unless you have something else lined up.

congrats on weathering the move and all attendant transition!
xo

Anonymous said...

I quit my job without having anything else lined up...guess someone should have shared the adage with me. Doh!

Oh well, still feels pretty nice. (Possibly I will not be saying this in a few weeks when I no longer have a paycheck. EEK.)

Anonymous said...

You know I'd hate to see you leave, but you gotta do whatever is best for your mental health. I hope you'd tell me if there is anything I can do to make things better. I don't say this because you're a rockstar at what you do, but because it's great having your wit and humor around here.