Oof! This weekend was a little tough. Friday afternoon the folks in charge of the online payment system decided they needed someone to take live calls from home over the weekend, so I agreed to do it. The work itself wasn't all that taxing, but the website was down for most of Saturday and then the parent side was up but the customer support side was down all of Sunday, so I wasn't able to actually help anybody who called. So frustrating. The upside is that I get overtime pay for all of those hours (22 for the whole weekend), so it'll be a pretty incredible payoff for one weekend of extra work. Not a bad time to have a little extra, what with the economy the way it is. And don't worry Mom and Dad, every last penny of it is going into savings. Those layoffs a few weeks ago hit a little too close to home.
I finally went for a walk/run this weekend with my new Nike+. In case you're not familiar, Nike+ is a sensor you attach to your shoe and a receiver you plug into your iPod Nano. Then when you run or walk it records the specifics of your workout, which you can then upload to the Nike+ website and track your progress.
Anyway, it was pretty awesome. You can choose whether you want to go for a certain time or a certain distance or..I think something else. I had been inside all day on Saturday, working, so when I was finally able to get outside I just set the Nike+ for two miles and took off. It tells you when you've reached certain milestones, like half a mile, etc, and then it counts down the last 500 meters and congratulates you when you're done. What I liked about it was that I didn't have to plan out a route. I just left the house, told it how far I wanted to go, and when I had reached the halfway point I headed home.
That's a really good thing for me...the more I can get my head out of the decision making, the more I can focus on form and recovery and enjoy the sights, etc. It was rad. I have heard there are also programs you can download to do interval training, so it beeps when you should change intervals from walking to running, etc. I'll probably do that next time. Right now I'm just running when I feel like it and walking until I feel like running again, but I think intervals will help me push myself a little further.
The coolest thing about the whole experience was that this was the second time in as many weeks that I have actually felt the desire to run, not just "oh I should get outside and go run", but "oh man, I can't wait to get my shoes on and go!" That is incredible for me. I never thought I would feel that way. Like most humans, I find it so much easier to do something I'm looking forward to than something I'm dreading but feel like I have to do. So yay!
I hope your weekend was equally lucrative and relevatory :)
xo,
C
2 comments:
man, that sounds awesome.
and if you have it w/ you, you can just do it whenever the urge strikes. way to go
I got a nike+ for Christmas from my daughter and I just love it. The thing I like best is how easy it is to use.
Post a Comment