Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Because a writer writes, you know

It's time to write something again. Of course I can't just sit down and write something, it has to be an attention-getting stunt. I'm okay with this. So tomorrow it begins: Script Frenzy! 30 days to write a 100 page script. I have an idea I'm pretty happy with. Before you ask, there are no fat runners in it. In fact, the main character is pretty physically different from me, which I guess is no big whoop except that the last one was so similar. Anyway, if James Patterson can write an African American then I can write a skinny blonde girl. She will likely find love because, well, it's the movies, and it may or may not end tragically. Not sure yet.

So yay! 3.33 pages a day seems so easy compared to 1667 words, especially given how much extra space is necessary to format a script, but I'm sure it won't be the cakewalk I'm expecting. Of course you will hear all of my moans and groans when I'm stuck on my page count. This time is also a little different because I didn't care what kind of crap I cranked out when I wrote the novel, I just wanted to make the word count. This time I'd like to actually make something good, in fact I confess that I have had a fantasy or two about a talented director getting ahold of my script and insisting on making the movie. It could happen. I don't need to be rich and famous (not BOTH anyway, that's just greedy) but it would be the coolest thing ever to see the scenes I envision in my head playing out on the big screen. Anyway, I digress...I have to do the work first.

In other news, things have been fairly busy for me. The Fat Rights Coalition took over Big Fat Blog a few weeks ago so I've been trying to keep up with that. I've also been doing a lot of work on a personal project and dealing with some single girl growing pains. Nothing life-threatening, just...I don't know...part of the process of growing out of codependency is learning to enjoy life on your own. Hanging out by myself has not always been my favorite thing but little by little I'm getting to the point where I can appreciate spending time by myself instead of being frustrated by it. Important stuff, especially since I finally realized that I really can't control when I'm going to meet somebody again. So it seems logical to me that my next goal should be making peace with my singlehood and perhaps becoming the most contented single girl evar! More on that as it happens.

Also school started this week. I'm taking History, Psychology and Sociology, all online. I'm excited to learn that stuff, especially the History since I've always found my expertise in that subject to be sorely lacking. I could blame indifferent teachers in high school but I think the real issue was that I was too young to see the relevance that past events had to the present day. I read my first history chapter yesterday (on the Industrial Revolution) and I found myself drawing parallels all over the place and gaining a greater understanding of how those events shaped the world today and how certain patterns were repeating themselves. I know, I sound like a giant nerd, getting excited about learning, but...well...I kind of am excited, so there you go.

It wasn't easy to get through that whole chapter though. Part of it is probably the dry textbook writing, but even when I read novels now, I find I can only do a few pages at a time before I get distracted by something else. It annoys me because there are so many great things I want to read and it takes me forever to finish a book. Anyway, tomorrow I move on to Psych. I wonder if it will be any easier to digest that material. I'm sure I'll let you know.

xoxo,
C

2 comments:

Brian Padian said...

No one can accuse you of taking on too little.

withoutscene said...

I wanted to be a scriptwriter once. I even got a book from the library that I kinda sorta read.

Re: singlegirldom, you and my friend Elizabeth totally need to be single buddies.

I was the same way with history, but recently I have been trying to collect textbooks to read over and catch back up in my know-how. However, if you need some help/clarification in sociology--or if you just want to talk about it, because hey, I think giant nerdness is awesome and hot, I am your girl. I am currently wondering what textbook you have. Also, Virginia is a grad student in psych :)