Sunday, May 24, 2009

On Friendship

Divorce sucks. Plain and simple. It's been over a year now and I'm still bugged by residual crap from my relationship with T. Just this week we finally got separate cell phone plans. We're still tied financially because of the animals (and will be for a while longer, I would imagine) but at least we're finally not sharing any more bills.

Our 'close friendship' post-breakup has withered away into just about nothing at this point. She doesn't answer my calls, I don't rush to respond to her texts. We've faded into the background of each other's lives like so much wallpaper. This makes me sad when I think about it, but mostly I don't. Time just keeps on passing and we get further apart.

What really freaks me out about losing her as a friend is that I am really not good at making new ones. Brian seriously got all of the social genes in the family, or maybe he just got lucky when he married Margaret or both, but for whatever reason he has a giant social circle of friends whereas I have maybe two or three good ones. It has always been like this. I tend to put all of my friend eggs in a couple of baskets and then end up depending a little too much on them to be there when I need them. I don't quite know what that is all about.

So anyway, there is now a dearth of outside influences in my life. Too much of my social life is happening on facebook, which is excellent for keeping in touch with a wide range of friends but the interaction is so surface, so meaningless. Does it really matter if three of my friends like swiss cake rolls as much as I do? It's not really a medium for a good, in-depth conversation.

So I find myself missing T, because whatever we weren't to each other, when we were together she was always up for good, in-depth conversations about just about anything. As it turns out, that's worth a whole hell of a lot in the scheme of things.

xo,
C


2 comments:

withoutscene said...

I don't know if you're a phone person, but I would so so so so so so soooooooo have in-depth conversations with you over the phone. I know it's still not in-person, but it's a step up from liking your cupcakes on FB. LOL.

Brian Padian said...

Don't confuse my being sociable with multiple close intimate friendships b/c they are most definitely not the same. I hear you on the faux-intimacy of facebook though. Also, I love you.

xo