Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cary, IL

The drive through Chicago was a little trafficky, but as I like to say, we don't have traffic in Portland so when I run into it it's more of a novelty than anything else. Paul and Jeani live a ways outside the city, in a lovely suburban town called Cary. It was drizzling slightly when I pulled up to the house and noticed a note from Jeani on the front door that she had gone to get their dog and she would be right back. There were no cars in the driveway, so I parked out front and waited...

Sometime later I woke up in my car and decided to give Jeani a call to see when she might be back. Of course, as I'm sure you saw coming, she had been in the house the whole time! The note was from earlier and she had forgotten to take it down. I felt somehow silly for having paid attention to the note instead of calling right away, but the nap I had in the car was so refreshing that I just chalked it up to a happy accident.

Jeani and Paul's dog Wally is incredibly cute, by the way. Sadly I have no pictures of him...you'll have to take my word for it.

So Jeani and I had a good chat while Paul was at work. It was one of those interesting experiences where you know someone as part of a couple but not much about them personally...I finally got to know Jeani a little bit this trip which made me simultaneously happy and bummed that I don't live closer so we could be actual friends instead of once-a-year buddies. Oh well...maybe someday.

Paul and Jeani's friends (and mine) Liz and Peter live in the same neighborhood, so Jeani had invited them over for an impromptu barbecue. I was very excited to see everybody...the last time we had all been in a room together was the last COFRA think tank, almost a year before. Conversation was easy and jokey, as if we had all been friends for years and years. I love moments like that. After dinner (I had my first official bratwurst!) we talked for a while and then played Apples to Apples, possibly my new favorite game. Paul had to go to bed early for work, but Jeani, Liz, Peter and I stayed up a little later, chatting and finishing the game. It was a super fun time but eventually we ran out of steam and the party broke up.

The next morning, Jeani had to put up with my awkward goodbye and I was on my way to Minnesota.

No comments: