Friday, September 18, 2009

Hello lovely

Rosie is laying beside me in a drug-induced haze, poor girl. She had to go to the vet today and get a dental cleaning and they ended up extracting two of her front teeth. Her smile is actually even cuter now, if you can believe it.

As for me, things have been pretty normal around here. Work has been a little over-the-top stressful but things are about to calm down a bit now that the beginning of the school year is behind us. Speaking of school, PCC classes are starting next week. I'm taking Spanish 101, Women in Art, and Chemistry. I have to actually go to class for Spanish but Art and Chem are both online classes. I had to order this chemistry kit so I could do all of this semester's labs at home. It was so exciting unpacking the box to find all of these beakers and clamps and things, plus a bunch of little vials and baggies of chemicals. I doubt I could get into all that much trouble with the small amounts of chemicals in the kit, but it's still funny(ish) to think about the possibility of my blowing up my kitchen.

I started volunteering at a transitional housing center near my apt last week. I go in once a week and help with their homework club, which means kids bring their homework and I help answer their questions about it. My first time at homework club was so great! I got to explain the FOIL method for simplifying equations and I could totally see the moment when the kids I was helping understood. They learned something because of me...that was a fantastic feeling. I know every time won't be that great but I had a grin on my face all the way home and it really made me think about teaching some more.

I made some more cupcakes this week. I ordered a copy of the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook last week and when it arrived I couldn't help but make a batch of their vanilla cupcakes with vanilla icing. They use a different method for the cupcake batter. Instead of the usual butter and sugar together, then eggs, then flour and milk, they have you put the butter and all of the dry ingredients together, then eggs and then gradually add the milk at the end. It seemed to work pretty well and the cupcakes were delightfully light and fluffy, so maybe that's the method I will stick with for a while. Here's a pic of the loveliness.


Looks good, right? :)

xo,
C

1 comment:

Marge said...

Cupcakes look great!! If you have more that your co-workers need, the guys down at Clark Center will be happy to help you out. Or maybe the Homework Club... :)

I could use a few myself.