Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A new direction

My life has a tendency of changing direction at a moment's notice. Yesterday morning I was all set to go to Costa Rica in a month, now I'm not going until next March. I postponed the trip for very good reasons but it still doesn't stop me from being a little sad when I see my Costa Rica book sitting on the coffee table or all the notes about hostels in Monteverde along the margins of my notepad at work. And now that there's more time to plan, I've managed to get my parents interested in going on the trip with me, which I'm excited about and promises to be a lot of fun, but also removes somewhat the element of daring and unknown associated with going by myself.

So what's a thrillseeker like me to do? Well, playing with fire and molten glass sounds like a good start. See, last weekend Mom and I took a weekend trip up to Tacoma to see all of the glass art there. We also spent some time observing the glass blowers in the hot shop of the Museum of Glass and made our own blown glass vases at the Tacoma Glassblowing Studio. I really really loved it. I didn't want it to be over. So when I got back to Portland, the first thing I did was search for a glassblowing studio in town and sign up for an eight week class. I can't wait to get started!

Yesterday Costa Rica, today glassblowing. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

No comments: