Friday, June 4, 2010

Change is change

Work has been something of an anxiety-inducing nightmare lately. There's been some...ahem..turnover. Some key members of our department, for better or worse, have taken their leave. The grand result of this situation is...dun dun DUNNNN! We have a new boss.

I've talked with her in a few meetings now and I have to say that I really like her and am optimistic about the effect she could have on our department, and not just because she could one day google my name and read this whole thing (did I mention she is so very pretty?). It'll be good to have some positivity in our group again, to be able to actually try to help customers instead of finding ways to say no to them. The anxiety comes in because I don't know what's going to become of the project I spend the majority of my work time on. I actually really love this project and have invested several years of my working life into getting to know the intimate details involved and making our support processes more efficient. So I'm a little twisted up inside over the possibility that we might soon either drop the project or cut way back on the amount of support we do for it. This would make me essentially irrelevant, and if there's one thing I hate being, well, that's it.

Right now all I can do is wait and see. Patience not being my most outstanding virtue, I've been driving myself quietly crazy, pouncing on any new nugget of information that might help me predict the future. Deep down though, I know I have zero control here. Not loving it.

No comments: