My bedroom is at the end of the hall, the creamy white walls covered in clusters of delicate pink roses. I am sitting cross-legged in an ocean of green low-pile carpet that matches the crepey avocado drapes. In front of me is a Fisher Price record player, the white one with the big fat orange arm and a handle on one side for portability. It is dark outside and cold (we're in Wisconsin now), though there's no snow on the ground. My arms are wrapped around my tiny body and I'm shivering, though it's not the cold that's got me in it's icy grip, it's fear. I'm playing a record on the Fisher Price in an attempt to calm myself down: The Smurfs All Star Show. My family is gathered in the living room, laughing at a silly sci-fi movie on TV, unaware of how terrifying and real those campy aliens can seem to a four year old. The Smurfs sing, and what was once my favorite song is now fused together with terrible thoughts in my mind, memories of tentacles and green slime monsters from outer space. To this day, I can't hear the song without shivering and tearing up...just a little.
*update* - My mom found the trailer for the movie! Tell me this isn't terrifying...
This post is part of The Scintilla Project.
No comments:
Post a Comment