Thursday, November 8, 2007

Random

Have I mentioned how much I love my camera phone? Here's a picture of the studio where I'm going to take my jewelry class. The part you're seeing is the coffee shop attached to the studio where they have display space for their artists to sell their work. Very, very cool. I go back on Monday and hopefully this time they will have some more students to take the class.

I realized this morning when I got to work that my office is full of fat ladies. They're all different sizes, but none of them are really skinny. I think it is really good for me to be surrounded by so many strong, capable fat women every day. It helps to remind me that I'm not defined by my size and that I have a lot more to offer than I sometimes give myself credit for.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the idea that I don't have control over the outcomes of situations. The help desk manager thing was a big step...an epiphany, really. Now I find that when I'm stressed out about something I actually have 'letting it go' as an option of how to deal with it. Not that I'm super-good at it yet, but even being able to consider the idea makes a huge difference.

The other day I came across the email address of a guy who used to tease me mercilessly in the sixth grade. He had moved to Seattle and is now working in IT so I figured, what the hey, I should email him and say hi. There were a few moments after emailing him where I thought about how crappy I would feel if he didn't email back, but then that whole 'no control over outcomes' thing kicked in and I realized all I could do was send him my message and see what happened. As it turns out, I got a really nice response from him, complete with an apology for being such an ass in sixth grade! It was a cool moment.

No comments: