Saturday, March 29, 2008

I miss training wheels

So I finally took my second bike excursion today. I say finally because I have been haranguing myself for the past month to get out there again. I am way too hard on myself sometimes. Anyway, I got a little bit farther this time, and actually managed to get past the initial instinct of 'okay, I look like a foolish ass, time to run away inside' and go up and down my block a few times. There were one or two people outside or driving by, but I had resolved before I went outside that I may need to make an absolute spectacle of myself to get this done and with that accepted as a possible outcome, I found myself slightly less worried about being seen. It's amazing how much easier it is to accomplish something when I just accept ahead of time that I will probably look foolish doing it. So anyway, my butt hurts, I'm tired, I have chain gunk on my fingers, and I still didn't actually get much of anywhere, but for a second try it wasn't half bad.

This bike thing is kind of complicated. First of all, the thing with the gears just mystifies me. The chain was making some kind of clickety noise when I was pedaling, so I'm pretty sure I had it in the wrong gear or something. Also, what is up with all of the little pokey, gougey parts sticking out of my bike? I think being poked and gouged may just be something you get used to as a cyclist but I'm not one of those yet so it offends my delicate sensibilities when my beloved bike pokes at me.

That's all for now. I think I need a nap.

xo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does sound like you were in the wrong gear. The lower the gear, the faster you have to pedal (unless you are going up a hill); for higher gears, you have to push harder. It does seem complicated at first but you'll get it!!

Anonymous said...

When your chain makes a clicky noise it means that you are half way into another gear. The purpose of the dérailleurs are to move the chain onto the next cog. The dérailleur is moved by pushing the shifter (it's controlled by a cable). When you move the shifter, and you don't fully engage the next gear, your derailleur is not exactly in position with gear 1 or gear 2. so it's in the middle. so the click noise is your chain hitting the derailleur. the first thing you should do is determine which shifter is for the front and which is for the back. then, next time you hear the noise, play with the shifters just a little bit, the noise should stop. call with questions.

Unknown said...

Thanks x! You are the best!