Monday, March 3, 2008

It's a Starbucks miracle!

Last week I posted this Starbucks survey to flickr because I thought it was so ridiculous that they could think visiting one of their locations could actually be 'uplifting', but I have to say that today when I walked out of Starbucks with my $4 latte in hand, I was in a significantly better mood then when I went in. I'm not saying that Starbucks necessarily had anything to do with it, though one of the baristas did compliment me on my (hand crocheted by me, thank you very much) bag and you know how Carrie loves the compliments! Anyway, I think it had a lot more to do with changing my focus, getting me out of my head and making me pay attention to the world around me.

I have a tendency when something is bothering me or when I have a problem I can't solve of just hammering at it over and over in my head, as if there's some magic solution I'm just not thinking of and if I could only wrap my mind around it then everything would make sense again. Sadly, you can't solve every problem with thinking, even if you're thinking really really hard. So it was good that Misty or Buffy or whatever her name was yanked me out of my reverie this morning to talk about something as small, mundane and easily-resolved as a sugary milky cup of coffee.

This would normally be the space that I would then roll out what is bothering me in great detail because really, what would this blog be without all the embarrassing overshares of every little thing I am thinking or feeling? For some reason, though, I don't want to talk about this here. Maybe it's because some of the people involved actually read this stuff. Maybe it's because I'm not 100% sure of how I'm feeling or what to do about it. Maybe it's because I feel like I have zero control over this situation and it is freaking me out. Probably all of these things. Despite the bit of panicky out-of-controlledness (I'm sure that's a word) I am feeling, there is at least a little voice in the back of my head that says "I'm sure if you just relax and let go that everything will work itself out". So I'm going to try to do that. I'm going to put down the hammer and trust that the solution is not hiding somewhere in my head. I'm going to drink my sugary coffee, indulge in the friendly caffeine buzz, and get on with my day. Everything is going to be ok. Peace of mind...not bad for four bucks, eh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

easy for you to say, the people who read your blog are now wondering "hmmmmm i wonder if she's talking about something involving me" except of course me, cause i don't care.........i've had my sugary milky coffee.

Brian Padian said...

i'm sorry i didn't comment on your knit purse, okay? i really do like it. swear

Anonymous said...

lol