On Saturday, T decided that she wanted to move back into the house a month sooner than we had planned, so now I'm moving out at the beginning of May instead of the beginning of June (which also means I will be relatively settled by the time my birthday rolls around, which is nice). Anyway, the weekend was filled with much anxiety along the lines of "holy shit! where the hell am I going to live in three weeks?". Sunday morning I woke up with the express purpose of finding a new place that would work, so I got on craigslist and sent out a few inquiry emails. Somewhere along the line, I started thinking about the idea of living with a roommate (or several) instead of just getting my own place. There are at least two big advantages to this idea: first of all, it is way cheaper to live with someone than to live by myself, second, I've been feeling a little sheltered and solitary lately and I'd like to change that about myself. I'm tired of being afraid of new people and new experiences. I want to get out there, force myself to meet some people and get over that fear. So living with someone else will at least put me in some more situations where I will meet new people. I think it will be really good for me.
I found several possible situations on craigslist and sent them each a letter of introduction. I heard back from a lot of people, but the one I was most excited about called me yesterday evening so I took the bus over to her house to check it out. I got a really good feeling when I was there and it seems like a situation that will really give me what I'm looking for. The other woman living there seems pretty cool, the room is in the basement and has its own bathroom, there's an entrance on the side of the house where you can go into the kitchen or you can go right down to the basement, so it's pretty private without being completely separate from the rest of the house. Also, there are bus lines nearby that go to the three places I would want to go regularly: work, T's house and J's house.
S (the roommate) told me that I was the front runner for the place, so I feel pretty good about my chances. The one big sticking point is that I have to be approved by the landlord which usually means a credit check. Since the bankruptcy, my credit looks like a dinosaur stepped on it so I'm pretty concerned about what that will mean for my ability to rent the room. I'm trying to stay optimistic though. I'm pretty sure I can get a good reference from my current landlord, plus my salary will definitely cover the rent with no problem so I should look like a pretty good risk because of that. I really hope it works out.
So yeah...on Friday I had no idea where the heck I was going to be in June and now if everything works out, I know exactly where I'm going to be and when. Finally. :)
3 comments:
another nice picture. at least you'll have a private bathroom, there's alot to be said for that. you can probably have someone guarantee the rent, kinda like a co-signer (or maybe exactly like it).
i'd co-sign for you but i lost a bundle in the sub-prime mess. oh and bear stearns. what a nightmare.
if you talk to the landlord stress the fact that since the bankrupcy you have no bills. no bills more cash
Post a Comment