Thursday, December 4, 2008

I win!

So yes, if you look to the right you will see the super new web badge I got for winning NaNoWriMo (everyone who makes it to 50,000 words wins). It was an interesting experience, especially at the end when it was one day before the deadline, I was five thousand words short, and I was packing all of my stuff to move across town the next day. Drama! But everything worked out. I got moved, I finished writing, and now I have more than 50,000 words of a first draft of my first novel. Pretty neat. Even if I never become a super famous accomplished novelist, at least I did it once. There are moments in the book I really like, too, but it sure needs a whole lot of polishing before anyone gets to see it. Maybe next month I'll dig into that.

About moving: I am finally out of the clutches of my evil roommate and it is sooooo nice! My new apartment is a studio, so it's kind of itty bitty, but it has its own kitchen, its own laundry area, and is way more soundproofed from the rest of the building than the basement ever was. You will not believe what a gleeful act making spaghetti is when you haven't had a kitchen for a while. It was so great! I'm still dealing with the funk that comes with moving into a new place and everything being just a little bit more difficult because you don't know where the things you need are, but that should pass when I get everything unpacked. Also Tim and I broke up so I'm processing that and the craft show is this weekend so I'm stressing about that. So everything's been a little up and down this week.

I have arrived at the grand clichéd moment in every struggling single gal's story where she decides to just give up on men and try to live her life as if it didn't matter that the family she so wanted to have hasn't materialized as of yet. According to the spinster handbook, I'm now supposed to get a cat. Hopefully Rosie will do. I'm not sure I could fit her and a cat into my little apartment.

xo,
C

2 comments:

Brian Padian said...

i know it seems like i say this every month, but here goes:

congrats on surviving all the turbulence and transition in your life this past month!

Susan Phillips said...

I really enjoy reading your blog. Although it's been many years ago, I identify with a lot of what you're experiencing and have experienced. Thanks for being willing to share.