Saturday, December 26, 2009

Merry Christmas!

Christmas dinner with my family was such a delight. Everyone brought something to the table and, since the majority of my family members are vegetarian, it was all meatless. I made wild rice stuffing, one of my favorite holiday dishes. My family transitioned away from bread-based stuffing a long time ago when we found out my dad can't eat wheat. Thank god for that, because I never would have known how fantastic rice stuffing is if we didn't have to give up the bread. Mmm mmm!

Wild Rice Stuffing with Cranberries and Pecans
(adapted from http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Wild-Rice-Stuffing-with-Hazelnuts-and-Dried-Cranberries-102482)

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
6 3/4 cups low sodium organic vegetable broth
4 cups Lundberg Wild Blend rice (this stuff is fantastic but other wild rice will do if you must)
2 cups dried cranberries
3/4 cup chopped pecans
2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme

Melt the butter in a big stock pot, then toss in the onions and garlic and saute for a few minutes until the onions are starting to get translucent. Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add rice, stir, add a little salt (maybe a pinch or two), then cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes.

When most of the liquid has been absorbed, mix in the cranberries, pecans, and fresh thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Turn the whole mixture out into a baking dish and cover with buttered foil. At this point you can stick it in the fridge if you're making it ahead. About an hour before serving, remove from the fridge and put the dish and foil into a 350 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes or until warmed through. Serve and enjoy!

4 comments:

Brian Padian said...

it was a great xmas. your stuffing was even better a couple days later as leftovers
xo

X_Tina said...

Post this one on your food blog, eh?

Unknown said...

Good point. Too many blogs!

X said...

Ok I re-read my comment and I hope it didn't seem like I don't want it here. Because I am lazy about checking lots of blogs and I'm excited about the recipe, so I'm actually really glad it's on here. I am going relatively meatless in 2010 and I love new recipes. I'm more apt to try it out if someone has done it and they have rave reviews! WHOO!