Monday, February 15, 2010

Reclaiming free time

Normally, my weekend mantra is "homework, then fun". Saturdays are for Chem labs, Sundays are for online Chem homework and anything else that might be due. This weekend I tried a little experiment and gave myself permission to not do any homework at all. This weekend the plan was to prioritize fun. I woke up around eight (late for me), fed the dog, scrambled some eggs for breakfast, sat on the sofa and just turned the old brain off for the better part of a morning. Oh it was so nice to stop worrying about my business and get wrapped up in the drama on Private Practice. I mean really, who cares about a little chemistry homework when there are babies whose lives are hanging in the balance?

The best part about my morning was that by the afternoon I was really tired of watching TV so I sat down and did my Chem lab. With the pressure off (I had already come to grips with the effect not turning it in would have on my course grade), I found doing the lab to be an almost interesting and enjoyable experience.

Sunday was more of the same. There was chem homework and laundry to do but I started my day with what I wanted to do. Eventually I got that stuff done too, and I felt more in control of my weekend and less pressured to complete everything right! effing! now! It was a good thing.

No comments: