Sunday, March 18, 2012

I go away

Talk about a time when you left home.

I am crouched in the tall weeds in a field across the street from my house.  I am small, maybe 7 or 8.  Old enough to be in school because it's after school now, in that lawless stretch of time between letting myself in the house and my parents' arrival home from work.  Usually my brother or a babysitter would be in charge but I've somehow evaded their notice.  To my left is a bright turquoise leatherette soft-sided suitcase, one I pulled from the family luggage stash in the laundry room.  I'm not sure of all its contents, in fact I'm pretty sure I didn't actually pack any clothes at all, just a few books and my beloved roller skates, white with red wheels, a pink stopper and a Strawberry Shortcake logo stenciled on top.  When I left I planned to be gone for a very, very long time (like forever) and so I brought not one but three bananas to sustain me on my journey.  I'm already nibbling on the second one as I pull the weeds aside with my chubby little hand and watch the house for signs that someone has noticed my absence.  The minutes tick by with agonizing slowness as the cold damp from the ground begins to soak the knees of my corduroys.  The house is quiet, no signs of life.  No one searching, no one calling my name.  No one even peering through the blinds to see if I'm outside.  I think about waiting for my parents to get home, for them to notice I'm gone.  I think about the goosebumps on my arms and the one banana I have left.  I finger its bright yellow peel, idly wondering if eating three bananas in one afternoon would make me sick.  Instead I shove it into the blue bag and stand up, brushing weedy buds from my pant legs.  I trudge back across the street, defeated.  When my parents get home it's as if nothing at all has happened.  I am the only one who knows the truth, that for a brief moment in time I didn't live there anymore.

This post is part of The Scintilla Project.

4 comments:

Julie Jordan Scott said...

What a fun story of leaving home.

I think the farthest I ever ran away from home was in the corner of the yard, a nook under the TV room window.

I remember hanging my favorite dress from a tree branch.

I made great plans to leave to far off places but I never made it!

Katja said...

Hehe! I did this too, at around the same age. Like you, I didn't make it far, but it felt like the biggest break of independence ever.

Christina said...

This is extremely touching. I like the way this made me feel, like I was there with you, watching you watch the house - and the last sentence is perfect. I am really enjoying reading these bits of the scintilla project. Thanks for sharing!

Esther said...

I can't remember ever running away from home like this, but I would imagine that, if I had, it would have ended in similar defeat. I do love the way you told the story though! It made me feel like I was right there with you.

Found you via #scintilla on TweetChat :)