It's halloween and I'm at work. Luckily they don't really do costumes here, so I didn't have to straddle the line of wanting to go along vs. wanting to retain some of my personal dignity. We are having a potluck though, and everyone put their dishes out on the table when they got to work, so it basically turned into a no-holds-barred all-day graze. I made vanilla cupcakes (from scratch, thankyouverymuch) and stuck little candy corns on top to make them festive. They turned out really well but I was beat out for most popular potluck dessert (unofficial) by a plate of peanut butter brownies that was gone by 10 am. They were some damn good brownies, but I can't help but feel sorry for my brave little cupcakes sitting out there. Perhaps this afternoon will bring on some increased dessert traffic. In the meantime, it's a good opportunity for me to try to appreciate the success of the effort I made without basing it on other people's evaluations of my work. Personal growth is fun! Tonight is our first halloween in the new neighborhood so initially the plan was to use this day to win over the local children and become the cool fat ladies who give out the best candy instead of the grumpy fat ladies who get mad when a basketball hits the side of our house, but T and I decided instead to just boycott halloween altogether. We are going to shut the dogs in the back bedroom, turn of all the lights, and go see Harry Potter at the Kennedy School instead. I wonder if kids still throw eggs or soap windows like they supposedly did in the olden days...if so, we are so screwed.
Yay! I just checked back and there were only three cupcakes left, so now I am basking in my externally-affirmed baked good awesomeness. Screw personal growth! I know, I know...just kidding. :) I'll work on it...
We are moving T's stuff this weekend. It's going to be so strange to come home and not see her every day. My challenge is to try to enjoy the time by myself, really find things I enjoy doing, and get this damn house in shape. I guess that's multiple challenges. Anyway, the point is, I want to actually start DOING something with my life and not just duck and cover until it's all over.
More as it happens...
C
1 comment:
I could go for one of those cupcakes right now!
Love,
Mom
Post a Comment