I saw something pretty neat this morning…I was on the bus and about three stops before mine, this little guy in a jumpsuit gets on with his toolbox. I assumed he was just another passenger but he immediately opened up the fare machine and started tinkering around with it, trying to fix it. The cool thing was, this dude was FAST. He whipped out his wrench, messed around inside the box a little bit, switched out a modular part and then put everything back together again. It took him less than 30 seconds…incredible. Now I know it is easier for him because it looks like the moving parts come out in one big section that he can swap out with another, but I still can’t even imagine the pressure I would feel if I had to jump on a bus in front of all of the passengers, find the problem and fix it in 30 seconds. Crazy.
Everything has been fairly normal lately. Through the magic of MySpace I had a chance to reconnect with an old friend last week, which was awesome because the last time he and I interacted I was a total ass to him. This way I get a chance to apologize and finally assuage that guilt. Thank you MySpace! Plus, he seems like a good dude and, as my mom likes to say, “it’s always good to have another friend.”
Speaking of friends, my little fledgling friends list is up to 17 right now. I added some more friends from high school and college this week. It’s incredible to me that I could have found them all out there…that people I thought I would never see or talk to again are just sitting out there like little easter eggs, waiting to be found.
My boss caught me on the internet last week and I felt so douchey about the whole thing that I vowed to quit getting on the web during work, cold turkey. It’s been interesting…it really is a deep-seated habit. I had to delete any shortcuts to the web off of my desktop so I will think before just going there. I have been getting on the web at home and I have been really good about not getting online at work, but I still find myself some mornings thinking about something I’m going to check on the internet when I get to work and I have to remind myself of the whole self-imposed ban on the internets at work. It’s slow going, but I will break the habit for good eventually.
There was a big plant sale in Pioneer Square last week and my friend William came back with several plants that he gave to me…little did he know that his kind and thoughtful act would result in those plants’ imminent and torturous death. I mean, they haven’t died yet, and I absolutely have every intention of attempting to keep them alive, but I’m pretty sure they are going to die. I’ve never been very good with plants. I love them and I want them to thrive, but I usually end up giving them either way too much or not enough attention and they shrivel and die before my eyes before I can figure out what it is I’m doing wrong. Oh well…I guess I can’t expect to be good at absolutely everything. :)
1 comment:
Post a Comment