So I'm excited! I feel very grown up about the whole thing, which I recognize is a little silly, but there you go. I may not even leave all the packing to the last minute this time!
This time tomorrow, I will be about to board my flight to Chicago. The fear and anxiety is starting to creep up on me, but so far it's still at a manageable level. I have my 3oz or smaller toiletries ready to go, but I realized this morning that I forgot to get my quart-sized plastic zip-top bag to put them in (security regulations are very specific about this stuff). I'm hoping I can find one in the freezer and repurpose it, otherwise I may have to travel to Chicago sans toothpaste and various girly products. I don't suppose I really need to bring my lip gloss to fight for fat rights, but I would prefer to look fabulous when I conquer the windy city. Thanks a heap, terrorists.
Brian sent me an interview with Pema Chödrön a while back, where she was talking about the idea of people willfully distracting themselves on airplanes:
PEMA CHÖDRÖN: In Tibetan, the word is Dunzi. I love this word, Dunzi. It means
distractions -- distractions that just sort of, you can waste your whole life in
Dunzi, you know, just, like, the lifestyle of just sort of flipping through
magazines. Or -- I don't know. The thing is, what we find if we're not used to
sitting quietly with ourselves and not used to meditation and not used to having
any inner solitude in our lives, we find that we're very threatened by nothing
happening. And we are addicted to dunzi addicted to distractions. And that's why
you get on an airplane, and it's as if, I think they're just, like, terrified,
what would happen if the video went off and there was no food, and we all had to
sit there for the whole, you know, 1 1/2-hour flight, You know, and not have any
entertainment? And, you know, all the books, you forgot your book and
everything. It would be kind of interesting to see if people would, like, freak
out. Because you look up -- you walk up and down the aisles, you know what
everyone would do, they'd close their eyes and go to sleep. They'd just try to
not be there.
I'm thinking about maybe not taking anything to do on the plane, just to see what it would really be like, if I could meditate during that time or if it would drive me crazy. It's a four and a half hour flight though, so maybe that's too ambitious to start. I would hate to be stuck reading the crappy in-flight magazine because I just! can't! take it anymore! I think I'll give it some more thought and let you know how it goes.
8 comments:
it's very cold and snowing today, so bring warm clothes. we are having a warm up, from the single digits to the doubles,lol. sounds like i'll be moving in june. have fun and stay warm.
can't you check a bag? put your toiletries in there?
I'm only going for two days! It's not worth it to check a bag.
I say still take a magazine on the plane. This way (because you will get done with it in 30-60 minutes if you read like I do) you have a little bit of distraction as a break from your meditation time :)
Have fun!
Take a book....and your ipod.....and a gameboy. There is a reason people want to be distracted on a plane...that's all I'm saying.
But I LIKE flying! :)
Yeah, but what about the waiting?? Bring a book and put it in your carry-on. Ignore it if you want but if you end up sitting on the runway for hours, you may be glad you have it!
ooh good point! I didn't think about delayed flights. Well you will all be happy to know that I have packed a few magazines. It will be okay.
Love you all!
C
Post a Comment