Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Loose Ends

Yesterday I was fairly sure I wanted to change jobs. Today, I changed cubes instead. We'll see if it's that easy to assuage my unrest. Somehow, I doubt it.

T and I decided the best way to handle our future living arrangements would be for T to stay in the house with the dogs and for me to find a new place with the two cats (since it should be way easier to find a place that will take two cats than one that will take all those dogs). The only problem with this scenario is that she's not going to be able to move back into the house until June, so I can't look for a place to move into yet. I've been looking anyway, because that's what I do, but it's fairly pointless since even if I find the perfect place at the perfect rate, I can't take it. There are other concerns too, since I will need some new furniture in the new place and of course there's the actual moving of my current stuff. I'm not positive, but it's likely that I will be walking around with a base level of anxiety for the next four months until I can resolve some of these questions. I'm so terrible at waiting...

There's a new guy in our area at work. He doesn't work in our department, he's just using one of our vacant desks. He seems like a nice enough guy, but everyone seems to be falling all over themselves about how awesome they think he is, which makes me instantly wary. The only direct contact I've had with him was when he squeezed the life out of my hand as he introduced himself. My hand was still throbbing painfully 30 seconds later. What's that about?

Chicago is coming up fast! I'm not as nervous as I thought I'd be at this point, which I guess is good, but it makes me wonder if it's all just going to hit me right before my flight.

We are finally experiencing some nice weather in Portland. It has been sunny for the past few days which is awesome as I was starting to feel like I was living in that Ray Bradbury story where it rains for seven years at a time. I plan to get back out there on my bike as soon as I can, though that may have to be after Chicago since I don't usually get home until after dark. Speaking of biking, Brian supplied me with a surprisingly accurate artist's rendering of me as a burly mountain biker which I have attached below for your perusal. The resemblance is uncanny, don't you think?


5 comments:

Brian Padian said...

don't worry about all those details. you can get furniture or whatever from craigslist, you can sell what you can't take or give it away. it will all fall in to place

Anonymous said...

Hey, looks just like you!! bp is right - the details will all work out. And we'll all help you move. It is frustrating having to wait though!

Anonymous said...

i can come earlier, say may or april if i sleep on the floor (well maybe not)

Anonymous said...

give it away... sell it... how about leave it where it is

Unknown said...

Well, I suppose that could be considered giving it away :) though I'd definitely rather give my stuff to you guys than some random strangers