As I was riding the train home today, I had an interesting thought: I am doing okay. I am happy with the status quo, everything is chugging along pretty well for me and I really can't complain. You would expect thoughts like these to be accompanied by a feeling of ease or relief, but honestly I felt a little stressed out by them. The thing is, I tend to constantly have an evaluative process going on in my head that has one job: to figure out what is going wrong in my life so I can fix it. So this evening when I realized that nothing was going wrong, my brain didn't quite know how to process that. Some time later when I had the unusual thoughts again, I was able to set aside the stress and unease and really appreciate the fact that there is nothing to fix. This feeling of relative contentment is new to me, so I'm not sure how long it will last. While it's here, though, I'm going to try to enjoy it.
In other news, I am going to Chicago at the end of the month to attend the second think tank for the Coalition of Fat Rights Activists (details). It will be my first time traveling by myself in at least ten years and my first time in Chicago. I'm plenty nervous but also pretty excited! I have been thinking about going for a few weeks now, but the whole Mississippi legislation issue from my last entry was what prompted me to go ahead and get my plane tickets. I have no doubt that there will be more obesity regulation bills coming eventually and I will be damned if I will stand idly by while some politician decides to legislate my free will.
1 comment:
You do seem more content lately and that is nice to see. I've noticed it. Yes, enjoy it while it lasts. :)
Chicago should be quite an adventure. hey, it'll still be COLD there in February so bundle up. Looking forward to hearing all about it.
Post a Comment