Thursday, August 21, 2008

Fat girl seeks enlightened boy for fun and activism

Only one more class session left! I turned in my final project yesterday (it turned out very well, if I do say so myself) and Monday we will have critiques and our final exam. The semester has gone by so quickly but I feel like taking the class answered some big questions for me, namely 'would I enjoy being a graphic designer?' and 'am I any good at it?'. I definitely enjoyed the projects, especially the ones nearer the end of the semester that involved actual design decisions. And I feel like I did a pretty good job. I may even pull off an A in the class...woo!

I was clicking around the web last night and, in a moment of weakness, I ended up signing up for Yahoo Personals (What? It's been weeks since I posted about not needing to be with someone...I'm a totally different person now! :D). I filled out my little profile (honestly, how do you distill your essence down to a freaking paragraph?), posted some pictures, went looking for some fellas, etc. I found a guy who looked pretty cool and had a nice profile and so I clicked the little button to send him an email. Except no, Yahoo wants you to pay money before you can actually speak to somebody. They have one of those price scales where if you pay month to month it's more expensive than if you pay for six months up front. But what a tough decision! I mean, if you pay for the six months, that's like admitting that you know you are so freakish that it will take at least that long to find someone remotely compatible with you. Not to mention that the six month thing is like a hundred bucks! You can pay $30 a month instead, but that's such a ripoff. I ended up not paying anything. There's something about paying for services like that that somehow makes me feel more desperate and skeevy than I already did by participating in online dating in the first place.

Not to mention the minefield present when you are a fat girl posting a personal ad. Do I mention the fat? Do I not mention it and risk seeming like I'm ashamed of it and/or trying to hide what I am? Do I talk about fat acceptance or activism? I mean, sure fat is not the only thing to know about me, but I feel pretty strongly about fat acceptance and rights and I kind of only want to deal with people who feel the same way. But I'm thinking as I'm writing that out, and guess it's pretty unrealistic to think that there will be many guys out there who believe what I do about fatness when the majority of the country is convinced that it's repulsive and unhealthy. Hmm...this warrants further thought.

I just had a related idea though...wouldn't it be great if there was a personals website for folks who believe what I do about fat acceptance and fat rights? If that weren't even an issue and you could blow right by it and just start talking about your personality and interests like skinny people do. You wouldn't have to worry about how to bring the fat acceptance thing up or how he was going to look at you or if he would get it or if you would ever hear from him again, because you would already have a basic idea of where you both stood on the issue.

I wonder how hard it is to set up a personals website....

xo!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

tons of websites out there if you google 'fat personals' but then again, a lot of them are the fetishizing BBW types. hmmm...

Anonymous said...

There are so many BBW personal sites that your head would spin and 5 pounds would drop off!!

You might be surprised at the number of men and women that are looking for those of us that are truly Goddess shaped...

There is love for us, beyond our own self-worth issues!! SEARCH AND CONQUER MY DEAR!!

Unknown said...

ooooooooh...conquer. I like the sound of that ;)

Anonymous said...

A fat studies scholar in Canada is doing work on how women present/negotiate their bodies in online dating. If I remember correctly, it seems that women went out of their way to create an "authentic" body online so as to not get called out on "body deception" later...perhaps even overstating their weight (but I'm not sure on that one).

Regarding the fat-acceptance stuff, you should make a post about it on LJ's fatty_boom_boom. I wonder how other people deal with it.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking..lets start a dating site..it would be awesome..it could cater to women that are either straight, lesbian, or bi-sexual. That would totally be awesome..there is nothing like that other than match.com..but that is specific enough..

I feel a project coming on!!

Anonymous said...

can old fat women join?

Unknown said...

absolutely! Fat ANYBODY can join :)