Saturday, August 16, 2008

The gift of solitude

I am having an unexpectedly wonderful weekend. Usually I can't make it through the week without having crammed my weekend full of things I need to take care of or people I need to see but somehow on Friday morning I looked up and realized I had absolutely *nothing* I had to do this weekend. Nothing. No plans to see anybody, no graphic design work that needed to be done. I don't even have laundry that needs doing.

So wow...what does one do with 48 hours of complete unstructuredness? So far I have slept in, straightened up my room a little bit, taken care of some COFRA business, finished a novel, and watched some trashy TV I missed last season. If I have my way, I may not even leave the basement at all this weekend.

For a while I felt a little guilty, like I should be doing something more productive, but then I realized that this is an opportunity for me to enjoy spending time by myself, to explore whatever it is that makes me uncomfortable with solitude. Frankly, I'm really enjoying this time by myself. The past few weeks have been extra stressful and it's not often that I actually have the opportunity to hide under the covers when I feel like I want to. It's nice to not have any demands to meet, even my own.

I hope you are all having peaceful weekends as well.

xo,
C

No comments: