Thursday, August 7, 2008

On the radio

Click here to download the audio of the radio show.

I had fun, though there are so many more things I wanted to say. Specifically about gastric bypass surgery, which seems like an incredibly drastic way to handle a physical condition that may or may not be directly detrimental to your physical health. People die from that surgery. Here's a bit from an
article on the Seattle KOMO news website:

Dr. David Flume with the UW is following up on the surgeries done
in our state. His findings are frightening.
"What we found is that in
Washington State the risk of dying within 30 days of the operation is 1-in-50 or
two percent," Flume told us. "It's about the same rate we see with open heart
surgery, so we think this just highlights the importance of going into this
operation with your eyes open."

So say you're one of the lucky ones who don't die. You win a life of chronic bad breath, diarrhea, stomach aches, malnutrition, etc. But you'll be thin, right? Sounds like a pretty terrible thing to do to yourself voluntarily. You know, lobotomies used to be thought of as a good idea too. Sometimes medical science is just wrong.

Anyway, that'll do for now. If we had been given a second to wrap up, I would have said that fat people deserve to be treated just as well as everyone else and that I hoped that any fat people who were listening would consider loving themselves as they are and living their lives instead of waiting until they were thin. Or something more eloquent than that. But anyway....woo! I was on the radio! :)

xo


3 comments:

Brian Padian said...

i think you made the point about not waiting to live your life pretty sucessfully actually, so i wouldn't worry about it.

as for surgery, there are risks with any surgery you undergo so it's not a decision to take lightly.

Unknown said...

The link to download the podcast isn't working. Is there any other way to listen to the podcast? I couldn't find where to download past shows on the OPB website.

Unknown said...

Ok try it now!