Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Must develop patience...

So yeah, I had a rough couple of days there, bodywise. I think what happened is that my inner little fat girl got all excited about the idea of weight loss and was screaming "WANT THIN NOW!!!" and it was making me a little crazy. I think I'm on a more even keel now, though.

Sunday was the Run Like Hell 5k, which is the race I'm planning to run all the way through next year. Brian and Mom walked it with me (and ran the teeniest tiniest of bits as well). We were in the middle of the pack for the first quarter mile or so, then everyone else passed us and we became the very slowest walkers in the entire city of Portland. God, that was tough. That's where the struggle becomes almost entirely mental because my brain was ready to give up on my goal right there. Mom and Brian stayed positive and were excellently supportive throughout the rest of the race and then Brian ran through the finish line with me (awesomely, our names were announced as we crossed the finish line because of timing chips we had tied to our shoes...so exciting!). So I've been trying to stay positive.

Hey, I just looked up the results of the race and it looks like I beat my Mt. Tabor 5k time by twelve whole minutes! Also it looks like we maybe weren't the last ones after all, but I don't quite believe that. Okay, so that's good to remember...even if it looks like I'm being all slow and I'm last, I could still be making progress toward my goal. I've scheduled a bunch more 5ks this year. If I can improve a little more each time, maybe I really can run one in a year. Maybe.

1 comment:

christina said...

i hate running. hats off to you, and beating your previous time by twelve minutes?! f-ing awesome!