Monday, January 5, 2009

Oh hell yeah

Something in my life is changing. I should qualify that, because if you read any number of things I've written here, it will become apparent that something in my life is always changing. But what I'm talking about now is something more fundamental, more far-reaching than moving to a new place or having a new boyfriend or having a falling out with T. Lately I've been having this recurring feeling that avenues that were blocked for me in the past are opening up. Things I didn't think I would ever be able to do in my life now seem actually possible, if not downright manageable.

I'm not just talking about the running, though that's certainly part of it. There's this sense of..well..I want to say control, but that's not quite it. It's more like I feel less out of control, less helpless in the face of circumstance when it comes to my own life. And get this: I feel less afraid of being alone. Crazy, right? Unexpected. But I like it.

I'm feeling less of the pressure to succeed than I have classically put on myself, and strangely enough, since I'm not always fretting about doing something perfectly, my brain is freed up to think about other things I would like to do. Without the voice of "better not try to do that because you'll probably fail", I find myself thinking about all sorts of possibilities, from writing a story or cooking a fancy dinner for myself to going back to school and pursuing a career change in a field I have always thought was beyond my reach.

I don't know where it all came from, but I will tell you this: I am psyched for the future. Absolutely, totally excited.

Love,
Carrie

3 comments:

Brian Padian said...

this is a glorious thing. don't stop

Fatinah said...

what a great post!

Anonymous said...

i have been getting the same feeling!! one where, it's more like, "this is my life, i should be driving" and then pushing whoever i had let sit in the driver's seat out of the way. i feel like i have no barriers, where before i always had a reason or excuse to NOT do the things i wanted to do. and i'm feeling more and more like myself everyday.

so awesome you are feeling this way too! OH, btw, i am coming to town next weekend (17-18-19) so we should totally grab a burger or some drinks and hang out!!!!

xoxo