Tuesday, July 1, 2008
A little bit about school
We had our first actual project in grapic design class yesterday. It was so exciting! The actual project is pretty mundane...we're just making a nameplate for ourselves and there's hardly any actual designing involved but still, it was exciting to finally use my t-square and utility knife and fancy pen and tracing paper and...well, all of it! As the prof was explaining the project and demonstrating the tools I was, frankly, a little terrified that I was going to screw up (I don't like doing things less than perfectly, especially in school. Yes, I am THAT person). I realized just now why taking this class scares me so much...in nearly every other class I've ever taken in my life, I have been able to get by on basic cleverness. But in this situation, it doesn't matter how quickly I can think on my feet or how easily I can pick up the material. If I can't sit down and actually trace the letters so they come out cleanly or make the right cuts with my xacto knife, I am going to be unsuccessful in this class. Anyway, once I finally got started on my project I was able to see which areas I might need more work on (the letter tracing is really hard for me...tiny, precision stuff) and which would be no problem at all (apparently I am a whiz with a utility knife..who knew?). So there is still plenty of possibility for me to succeed...I just need to work a little harder than I'm used to, I think.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment