I've finally found a good cafe near B&M's with free wifi. The other night I was feeling pretty grumpy and isolated (I miss my internet, you know how it is) so I gave it one last try. Marino Adriatic Cafe on Division had a giant Free WiFi sign outside (don't know how I missed it on Sunday) and a bunch of people inside, so I figured I'd check it out. It was one of those perfect, fated moments where you feel like there must be a grand plan that lead you here to this place at this particular time. When I walked in, there were two female guitarists playing and singing folk standards on the tiny stage in the corner. I ordered a double cappuccino (maybe not the best idea at 9:30 PM) and got my internet on. For a moment, all was right with the world.
This morning I felt pretty terrible so I stayed home from work. I slept for a looong time and felt a lot better when I got up, so I headed to Marino again. I had a ham panini and another double cap and now I'm feeling pretty damn good.
I have class again tonight. Monday was pretty rough because we finished up our nameplates and started on a new project, one I was sure I would knock out of the park because it involved only mat board and bristol cutting and no actual tracing or inking of anything. Remember how smug I was about my incredible ability with a utility knife? Yeah...about that...not so much. But T reminded me and I'm working hard to continue to remind myself that I am an absolute beginner to this stuff and I am not going to be perfect all the time.
What a false construct this idea of being perfect is! Somehow I assume that getting everything 'right' will mean absolute success when really if I did everything perfectly right the first time there would be no reason at all to learn anything or improve in any way. If I were perfect, my life would be so stagnant and boring all the time that I would probably go nuts. So interesting...the things we strive for in life would ultimately take all the fun out of it if we were to succeed. Maybe there is something to this gift of failure...
xo!
No comments:
Post a Comment