Okay, so I actually did it today. I came home, got into my swimsuit and made myself go to the pool. That part wasn't really that bad. I paid my money, went into the locker room, stripped down to the basics, took my little pre-swim shower as the pool rules require, then went out into the pool area. Being in a swimsuit in public really didn't bother me all that much. What I really felt self-conscious about was being in such unfamiliar surroundings. I got my own lane, so that was cool, though it was right under the lifeguard stand and I had a paranoid fear that the lifeguard was going to tell me I was doing it wrong and I wouldn't be allowed to swim there anymore (again, I have an active imagination) :). Luckily, that did not happen. What did happen was that I had a super-critical running commentary in my head and it really made swimming kind of suck for me. I mean, I haven't really swum laps or anything in over 10 years, so I don't know why I expected to just pick it back up again and be all speedy and fantastic, but I guess I had high expectations for myself.
DAMN, swimming is hard work...it's basically the same effort as running, but you can't just breathe whenever you want to. So let me just be up front about this: my swimming was neither speedy nor fantastic. I started with a lap of breaststroke, which used to be my favorite stroke when I was on the swim team as a kid. The thing is, I have a very different body from when I was a kid and it just floats differently and I'm not so much a master of all of my swimming muscles, so I felt very much like a retarded dolphin just limping down the lane. Toward the lifeguard. Sigh...
The next lap I started out with freestyle but I realized after a few strokes that I needed to breathe more often than once each stroke, so I flipped over and did the rest of the lap backstroke. That was much better because I could breathe whenever I wanted to. For the next few laps I alternated between breaststroke, backstroke, and a very slow freestyle. After a few more, I tried freestyle again and realized that I was now able to breathe every few strokes, so that was some nice instant gratification.
Here's where it got a little funny. There was a kickboard at one end of my lane and I was figuring that I should maybe try a few laps just kicking to strengthen my leg muscles and be able to breathe the whole time, etc. Great idea, except when I grabbed the kickboard, pushed off and started kicking, I kind of didn't move. Not even a little. It was ridiculous, and of course I was right under the lifeguard stand. Dammit. I managed to do a modified breaststroke while holding the kickboard to get myself to the end of the lane. One more lap of backstroke and one of freestyle and I was just about done for the day. It was at that precise moment that another swimmer approached me about sharing the lane but I was more than happy to just give it up and get out, so I managed to avoid the lane-sharing awkwardness that I'm sure will be a part of my swimming experience in the future.
I feel good that I went swimming but I am still dealing with some residual negative voices about my performance. Luckily I have until next Tuesday before the schedule says I have to go again (You will respect the schedule! The schedule is law!). I'm thinking I should do as much research about swimming training plans as I am about running, if for no other reason than to give myself some structure. I know it will get easier, especially now that I know what to expect from the pool and from myself.
Wow, running seems like a piece of cake now that I know what swimming is like! :) More tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment