Thursday, April 19, 2007

A much needed respite

I slept for almost 12 hours last night. I got off work early and got home around 4 or so, then I planned to take a nap for a few hours and then get up and do my walk. I ended up sleeping through the whole night! Apparently my body needed the rest. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get to my walk yesterday. I'm not disappointed in myself, I'm just disappointed that I missed out on the opportunity for more training...an important distinction. I finished my training calendar yesterday and now I'm just excited to be able to keep up with it so I can make the progress I've planned out for myself. Obviously life happens and sometimes things get in the way, but hopefully I can stick pretty closely to the plan. There is something about having a training calendar that is so optimistic and official. It kind of helps me reaffirm to myself that I actually am doing this, that I have actual goals and that I can accomplish them. I planned out the workouts I'm going to do until the Mt. Tabor Challenge, but then I realized that I'm not just going to stop running after the race is over, so I started thinking about where and when my next race is going to be and what I want to be able to accomplish when I run it. I'm thinking about the Run for the Cure in September, so that will give me some more time to build up my endurance and maybe even run the majority of the 5k.

Today is swimming. For reals this time. Now that it's on the schedule I feel compelled to go no matter how nervous I am. And actually, I'm not feeling that bad about it. I'll get off work early so I can get over there early and I can hopefully get a lane by myself. More about that tomorrow.

I got a callback yesterday about that interview I had last week. He actually just left a message so I don't know if it was a 'come in for a second interview' or a 'we hired someone else' call. I'll let you know when I find out. (*update* - unfortunately, it was a 'we hired someone else'. That sucks, but I had been thinking today that maybe I'd rather stay here anyway, so I guess it makes that decision easy. Sure is an awful feeling to be rejected though. Sigh...)

Interesting food happenings yesterday...T picked me up at the train station so I wouldn't have to wait for the bus and my first impulse was to ask her to go through the Wendy's drive thru for me. We got to the menu board and I found myself just trying to find SOMETHING I wanted to eat. I couldn't find anything that looked good, so we actually left...a big deal for us. I was planning at that point to just find something to eat at home, but then she wanted to go through the Arby's drive thru and get a soda. Now, I can tear me up some food at Arby's, to be sure, but I really tried to think about what I wanted and not just order like crazy. When I actually thought about it, all I wanted was a chicken cordon bleu sandwich. No fries, no coke, no loaded baked potato wedges, no cherry turnover, just the sandwich. That was such a strange feeling...normally I feel compelled to construct an entire meal with sides and everything. It's so much easier to order a 'number 4 with a coke' and not have to think about what I'm eating. That was the best damn chicken cordon bleu sandwich I have ever had, too. Crazy.

No comments: