Well, I chickened out on the swimming yesterday. I rationalized that it was cold outside and that I got home a little late and that I was tired, but the real reason is that I'm just intimidated by the whole idea. I still want to swim though, so I'm going to take today and tomorrow and work on psyching myself up to go. I'm working the 6-3 shift today and tomorrow, so maybe if I can get over there a little earlier it won't be as crowded or scary.
So since I didn't go, yesterday turned into an exercise in dealing with my feelings of failure and wanting to give up. At least I recognized that I was doing that to myself so I could stop the negative downward spiral. I have to stay focused and keep moving forward. Everyone has an off day and everyone has times when they let their fear of the unknown get the best of them...it doesn't mean that I failed or that I can't keep doing what I'm doing.
I read an article on runnersworld.com that said if you have absolutely no running background and you are starting a training program, you should start by walking for 8 days straight to strengthen your leg muscles, then you can progress to running. I'm thinking maybe I'll try that or try some speed-walking or something. At first, I needed to try the jogging to prove to myself I could do it, but now, in the interest of long-term goals, I feel like I can drop back down to fast walking and maybe go a longer distance, etc, so I can strengthen my legs. It must be a lot of hard work for those muscles to carry my weight, especially when I'm jogging, so anything I can do to build them up is good.
I had a Red Bull this morning, my first ever, because I was so exhausted and feeling crappy. I have to say, I was fully expecting to feel jittery and nauseated and yucky after drinking it (as I often would when taking vivarin in college. That stuff sucks), but I actually feel more at ease and a little more awake, which is good. I googled Red Bull before drinking it because William said it had bull testosterone in it, but it turns out that isn't actually true, so that's good! I did read that Taurine can have a calming effect, so maybe that's what I'm feeling. If so, cool. $1.99 is a small price to pay for a little tranquility, even if it does taste like ass.
That's all for now. I get to go home at 3 today...yay! I'm definitely going to take a nap before I go out walking :)
3 comments:
When you run, make sure and keep your palms open and your fingers relaxed. Don't make fists. Making fists automatically restricts the motion of your arms, making you take shorter strides. Open hands lets you take longer motions with your arms, translating into longer strides when you run.
thanks man!
Taurine is not a product of bull sperm, which is an urban myth, but is extracted from meat and fish. It is also made naturally, in small doses, by the human body.
Post a Comment